17 July 2009

Custom Bass build (part II)

My Shopping Cart:


The old Ibanez bass had passive pickups that sounded pretty poor. The electronics were junk as two of the pots just sounded like static when turned up at all. The third pot was for volume but only started to work at 75%. The bridge was not a terrible bridge, but looked awful and so got scrapped.

Pickups:

I definitely wanted to use active pickups to allow more control over the sound (although I do like the clean sound of passives). Because I am using the old Ibanez as a reference, I will need to get a PJ set to fit in the same routing pattern (and hopefully match the sweet spot). My choice is going to the EMG PJ set. There are a few reasons these were chosen. First, because of price and the outstanding user reviews. Also, (explained later) I will be getting a EMG preamp to match the pickups. Additionally, the pickups are internally shielded so there will be less interference.
PJset.jpg

Electronics:

As stated before, I am going to use EMG electronics to match the pickups. I am going to use the EMG BTS System. This will give me balance control over the pickups, master volume, and bass and treble controls. I was originally going to use a set that would give me two additional mid tone controls but decided not to as the price was about $90 more. Besides, the BTS System has a jumper that controls what frequency the treble knob controls, giving me a little more flexibility if I want to change mid tones.
BTSsystem.jpg

Bridge:

I was not sure where I wanted to go with a bridge until I visited Hipshot Products online. I became very interested in a transtone bridge which allows the two (or more or less) bass strings to be set through the body for longer sustain while leaving the treble strings connected to the bridge for that punchy treble sound. The bridge I am going with is the Hipshot Supertone Bass Bridge. This bridge has adjustments in all three axis which will give me plenty of room to set the intonation and get the strings set for the neck.

No comments: